Babies can sleep up to 15 hours a day. At least those are the statistics. Of course, almost every parent knows those moments when a child, instead of sleeping, prefers to whine and cry. The legend that you won’t sleep an hour in the first year of having children didn’t come out of nowhere. However, regardless of whether the child loves naps or prefers to wake up at night, sleep is extremely important in his life. Therefore, it is equally important to choose the right cot.
Baby cot – how to choose the right one?
Choosing a baby cot is one of the first things new parents face. If it’s another child, the purchase is usually easier. It looks a little more difficult if you are a first-time parent. Then you face the challenge – you need to read all the articles on the Internet, all the parenting guides and every single piece of information about baby cots.
Okay, we’re kidding. The truth is, the more you read about the same topic, the more confusing you get. So it’s good that you came to us. We hope that with our tips, choosing a baby cot will be quick and painless for you, and maybe even quite pleasant. After all, it is a great joy to get ready to become a new family member.
How not to choose a baby cot
Many parents fall into a kind of fairy-tale loop. Wanting to provide their children with the best, they buy with their eyes when they are tempted by advertisements on TV, newspapers and the Internet. They want the most beautiful room for their child, because their baby is also the most beautiful. And there is nothing wrong with that – the birth of a child is often the most important moment in life.
However, it is difficult to avoid advertising traps at this time. But since you are reading this article, you want to get ready to buy. And it works to your advantage. So see what you shouldn’t do when choosing a baby cot:
- Don’t just be driven by the price. While a cheap crib is not necessarily of poor quality, absolutely don’t put the financial issue first. If you do so, you can pay a much higher amount in the future, when it turns out that the cot needs repair or complete replacement. If you see a piece of furniture at a price that is right for you, check it carefully before making a purchase. Also, see what the aftermarket has to offer – a second-hand crib can also be great!
- Do not use without checking the product. If the crib is wooden, check it carefully. No splinter is allowed to endanger your baby. The surfaces must be perfectly smooth, finished down to the smallest detail, without protruding parts and without moving parts. The same applies to all other materials the furniture is made of.
- Don’t forget about safety. A cot for a baby must be completely safe, which means that each material used in its production is to have all the necessary approvals, and its construction should not pose a threat. Therefore, before you are tempted by the original color of the furniture, first check with what varnishes or paints it has been painted. Choose classic cots with rungs – they will not only ensure safety, but also help later when the child starts to get up.
- Don’t underestimate the mattress. Its quality determines whether your baby will sleep comfortably, but also whether its bones will develop properly. An uncomfortable mattress can cause many sleepless nights (for you and your baby) and back problems in the future. We will write more about choosing a mattress in the next article – follow our blog!
- Don’t make your choices just by appearance. Of course, we know that you would like to put a piece of furniture in your home that will blend in beautifully with the rest of the decor. Ideally, it should also be elegant, designer and original. But I guess you realize that in this case, appearance matters the least? First of all, look at the safety of materials and construction, quality of workmanship and usability, and then what the furniture looks like. However, we hope you will find a crib that suits your tastes.